Monday, April 19, 2010

Which Interior?


A few years ago, Torsten Kehler, a professor at SFU who I'm sure many of you are familiar with, told our class about one of his experiences with Jeff Wall. Sometime in the early 80's, Torsten lived in the same apartment building as Jeff. Sometime during that period, Jeff Wall asked several of the residents if he could use their apartments for one of his projects, Torsten was one of those residents. Jeff blacked out all of the windows, and after that I have no idea what direction the photo took, I can't remember if Torsten mentioned what happened. Since that day, I have been unable to look at any of Jeff Wall's photographs without thinking about that anecdote, whats worse is that if its an interior shot, its the only thing I can consider. The work shown in class, "Insomnia", has always been my most likely suspect. Again, its entirely possible that Torsten mentioned exactly which photograph was his (or one of his other tenant's) apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment