Sunday, April 4, 2010

Memorials (post #1)

In the couple of weeks since we've discussed the controversies and meanings behind memorials, I've been keeping an eye out for them and trying to decide how I feel about the monument vs. internet memorial contrast. I think it's important to say that I've been very fortunate in not being connected to any tragic event in a personal way, so I can only really view memorials as an observer and try to gather meaning from the statue or monument itself and the engravings that are sometimes included. This raises a question that we discussed in class: who are memorials really for? In the case of the 'to all women murdered by men' memorial, it addresses a specific issue involving a specific group of people, but does that mean that the rest of society is excluded? It's hard to imagine a scenario where someone paying respects or appreciating a memorial is asked to leave because it doesn't include them, it just seems counter-intuitive to the whole concept of remembering. As someone stated in class, the roadside memorials for those who have been killed on that spot always pause me for a moment and I think those are an effective way to acknowledge someone's life and death as well as act as a reminder to drive safely.

While I can appreciate both sides of the debate, the concept of internet memorials does not bother me at all. Maybe my opinion would be different if I was involved in or intimately connected to tragedy, but I believe that the way of remembering should be up to the person who wants to remember. It is nice to have a tangible object like a wall, bench, picture, or statue to appreciate and spend time with, but I agree with the notion that the internet has in a way become the new public space. I don't think it is disrespectful to feature memorials on the internet, but I think a line would be crossed if they altogether replaced 'real' city memorials. I'm in the process of researching various memorials in and around Vancouver and I plan to visit one of them sometime in the next week, and I'll post my thoughts and experiences afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to your second post, Shawn. In the meantime, this one has prompted some interesting thoughts of my own on spontaneous and temporary vs. planned and permanent memorials.

    Peter

    ReplyDelete